Sunday, November 14, 2010

Too wee to be wonderful? No Way!

Once upon a time I was overcome with a crippling writer's block. Where once I could fill notebook upon notebook with long rhyming poetry that spoke of the depths of my soul; I suddenly had nothing. I would stare at the blankness of a page quizzically; unable to write a single word. Or I would write lines and lines of words and find that none of them fit. My desk was mess of crumpled up prose and my mind was a mess of disconnect.
During my writing drought I thought back on times growing up when I had cursed and grumbled about my "boring gift." Although my parents had assured me vehemently that the ability to write was a wonderful talent that could take me very far, I thought it would be much neater to be an actress or even a soccer player. Upon this reflection I scolded myself. I should never have called my gift ordinary, and I should never have wanted any other.
Eventually I wrote again, and as I began to feel the incredible rush of words from brain to paper, I swore I would never ever sell it short.
To me, the Wee World Wonder in my story is that even the things we think are too wee to be significant are wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment